As part of the general violence reduction strategy, which saw knife bins installed in Tower Hamlets, we can now look forward to the ‘Firearms surrender’ project.
There are however no bins, to drop guns into. Weapons should be handed to front counter staff at identified police stations.
The main locations are:
• SOUTH WEST – Twickenham Police Station, 41 London Road, Twickenham, TW1 3SY.
• SOUTH EAST – Lewisham Police Station, 43 Lewisham High St, Lewisham, SE13 5JZ.
• SOUTH AREA – Croydon Police Station, 71 Park Lane, Croydon, CR9 1BP.
• CENTRAL SOUTH – Brixton Police Station, 367 Brixton Road, Brixton, SW9 7DD.
• CENTRAL WEST – Hammersmith Police Station, 226 Shepherds Bush Road, Hammersmith, W6 7NX.
• CENTRAL NORTH – Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, The Angel, Islington, N1 0YY.
• CENTRAL EAST – Stoke Newington Police Station, 33 Stoke Newington High St, London, N16 8DS.
• NORTH EAST – Forest Gate Police Station, 350-360 Romford Rd, London, E7 8BS.
• NORTH WEST – Wembley Police Station, 603 Harrow Rd, Wembley, HA0 2HH.
• NORTH AREA – Tottenham Police Station, 398 High Rd, Tottenham, N17 9JA
• WEST AREA – Acton Police Station, 250 High St, Acton, W3 9BH.
• EAST AREA – Romford Police Station, 19 Main Road, Romford, RM1 3BJ.
• CITY of LONDON – Bishopsgate Police Station, 182 Bishopsgate, EC2M 4NP.
- Information on how to report a suspected firearms discharge, or to provide information to the police on where firearms are being stored or who is in possession of a firearm can be made via 999, by tweeting @MetCC or via our website.
- Alternatively, Police encourage anyone with information to contact Crimestoppers. They never ask your name and they cannot trace your call, your IP address or the device you use. Fill in their quick online form or call 0800 555 111.
- The Tower Hamlets Neighbourhood Watch Association anonymous reporting, facilitates you to submit your information online locally.
- It could save a life.
Detective Chief Superintendent Nick Blackburn concluded: “We need your help to remove weapons from our streets. Too often we come across family members or friends of criminals being asked to hide firearms. They often believe they won’t be arrested or prosecuted – they will. “If someone asks you to conceal a weapon, they are putting the risk on you. If you are caught in possession of a firearm, the likelihood is you will be jailed for a minimum of five years.”
“Often the firearms we seize are converted and formally legally-owned. They are then acquired by criminals and distributed for illegal use.
“Help us to reduce the threat of gun crime in London. I would urge anyone to seize this opportunity if it applies to you. If you have any information regarding gun crime, please speak to police or in confidence through the independent charity 100% anonymously.”
- So far this year, lethal barrel discharges have reduced by 37 per cent (Jan-April 22) compared to the same period in 2021.
- Officers have seized 524 lethal firearms from the streets (financial year 2021/22) compared with 480 in the same period for 2020/21 and 408 in 2019/20;
- The number of shootings has also gone down from 283 in the financial year 2019/20 to 196 in 2021/22.
- The results are thanks to dedicated proactive units carrying out long term, intelligence-led operations in areas of heightened gang criminality, spearheaded by our Specialist Crime Command. It means London is now a hostile place for criminals transporting firearms.
- Investigations into shootings are becoming stronger, with an increase in the number of charges brought for investigations into shootings rising from 20 per cent in 2019/20 to 38 per cent in 2021/22.